Friday, July 2, 2021

3 down, 2 to go!

End of Three


Three years ago today, April 27th, Laurie and I bought the farm.  I told her (and at the time I thought she believed me) that in 5 years we would have it completed.  

 When we first went through the Lewis Road farm, it was clear that we would have to deal with the heating system.  It was a hot water system heated with oil.  The chimney was cut off at the roof when the roof was redone, so we would also have to go with a high efficiency furnace.  The pipes were coated with asbestos, which was dealt with early on, but we held off on the rest of the project because of the cost, and we wanted to complete a few things so it looked a bit more like a home.

In 2019 I got quotes for both a new hot water boiler and repair of radiators and pipes, and for a complete forced air system, including air conditioning.  The totals came in at $20,000 for the boiler, and $27,000 for the forced air.

After a few months of talking, research online, and more talking, we decided on the forced air.  With us being gone much of the winter, and knowing that if the power went out there could be an issue with burst pipes and a flooded house, the forced air seemed to make sense.  The difficulty with air conditioning with hot water heat also played into our decision.

The first part was easy.  Measure all the rooms and windows, estimate the insulation, and send it off to have a company named Ductworks figure out the size of furnace and air conditioner, figure out where all the ducts go, and give me an itemized list of what I need.  I also went to Hvacdirect.com to pick out my furnace and air.

Super!


We are ready!

Maybe not......


I admit, that while the excitement of learning something new, and the tons of money we were going to save (it would cost us about 1/3 of the quoted price), was offset by the huge amount of work that I knew was ahead.  We put it on the back burner and completed other tasks.

The Pandemic (written by Laurie)

In March, 2020, the Pandemic hit. Greg lost his job and I went virtual. Struggling to find something to do, Greg decided to tackle the heating system.  He continued to go up to the farm most weeks with Teddy (our dog), through the rest of the school year into summer and all of winter and worked on it. He connected the furnaces in January 2021.  Amazingly, according to me, just like that, it was done.  I could not and still can not believe it. He had never done anything like this before and now, we had heat. I knew there was a reason why I married this man. He can do anything. 

Now, we can truly move on and do other things - next up... the kitchen.

36 comments:

  1. More shirtless Gred photos please. I have been following this blog since it started and I love it. The only other thing I could ask for is more pictures of shirtless Greg. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! We are so similar! - Franny Franklin

      Delete
    2. What a coincidence! How long have you followed this blog?

      Delete
    3. Wow! What is your name? - Franny Franklin

      Delete
    4. Oh sorry I didn't see your question, sorry! I haven't been following this blog for a while. It popped up in my recommended blogs and I'm addicted! I can't stop reading it! ps: I LOVE Greg! - Franny Franklin

      Delete
    5. That's great! My name is Cloudia Scott. Isn't Laurie so lucky! Greg looks like a GREAT husband! - Cloudia Scott

      Delete
    6. Hi Ladies! I agree! Laurie is soooooo lucky! Greg is SUCH a hottie. I also agree with you Cloudia that I would like to see more shirtless Greg. - Mary Evens

      Delete
    7. I wish I had a husband like that! He is so helpful and fine. Please show me more Greg! Maybe even a CLOSE UP! - Mary Evens

      Delete
    8. Hi Mary! We seem to be so alike, since we both share such a passion for Greg. I am SO jealous of Laurie and I wish that I was her. Anyways, doesn't the farm look just lovely? I think that the kitchen is going to look AMAZING. Can't wait to talk to everyone more! - Monica Blackson

      Delete
  2. Hi! I would like some shirtless Greg pics please! You're SO LUCKY because you have such a great husband! I appreciate your work with the blog and it's AMAZING how much progress is being done! - Franny Franklin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Fanny! Please add more shirtless Greg pics! The farm is coming along well and I am looking forward to seeing it, and more pics of Greg of course:) - Monica Blackson

      Delete
    2. Yes he cheers me up! Currently I live with a caretaker by the name of Edward M. He offers GREAT services! I love how the blog makes me feel better! Now I want to own a farm! Thanks! - Franny Franklin

      Delete
    3. I'm back ladies! I agree, the farm is looking GREAT! I can't wait to see the finished kitchen. Please post again soon! - Cloudia Scott

      Delete
    4. Oh my! I have a caretaker as well! He goes by the name William Kinsler. He LOVES taking care of me as well as caring for children. I LOVE what you've done with the farm and can' t wait to see what happens next! I am especially looking forward to seeing more pics of Greg!! -Monica Blackson

      Delete
    5. Oh yeah! William Kinsler was also a teacher I heard. He must have gone into the hospitality business. I wonder why; he was a teacher and he loved kids. Anyways, have a good day! - Franny Franklin

      Delete
  3. Hello guys! This blog is gaining traction! There have been LOTS of comments today! This blog just came up in my recommended blogs! Anyways, the farm is coming along well from what I have read. I would LOVE to start a conversation with some of you guys! Anways, see you all later! - Gaylord Nelson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a link to my picture; hopefully it works! https://i.pinimg.com/280x280_RS/f7/03/3d/f7033d003f86a94ece0afcb2d6881640.jpg

      Delete
    2. Maybe this one will work: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Ffar_left_radica%2F&psig=AOvVaw1VacvI14bQYU3snnDP326A&ust=1652554135645000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAwQjRxqFwoTCIDZ0IOS3fcCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAO

      Delete
    3. Wow you have a nice mustache! - Franny Franklin

      Delete
    4. Wow! What a lovely picture Fanny! -Monica Blackson

      Delete
    5. Here's a link to my photo as well! Hopefully it works! -Monica Blackson https://pin.it/4crEFon

      Delete
    6. Lovely! - Gaylord Nelson

      Delete
  4. I would love to too! Don't you agree that this blog is the best! - Cloudia Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you want to do, Cloudia? - Franny Franklin

      Delete
    2. I would love to have a nice conversation with all of you! - Cloudia Scott

      Delete
  5. Me too! Have you guys read the book"Gone with the Wind?" - Gaylord Nelson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golly Gee! I love that book! I remember buying the 10 year anniversary edition back in '46! - Franny Franklin

      Delete
    2. I got it more recently, in '86. It was the special 50th anniversary edition! I have read it at least 12 times since then! It's my favorite! - Cloudia Scott

      Delete
    3. OH MY GOD I HAVE!!! What a great book! Its one of my favorite books of all time! - Mary Evens

      Delete
  6. Where did Mary Evans go?! She has such GREAT taste in men! -Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I would never leave y'all! - Mary Evens

      Delete
  7. I love this blog almost as much as I love Herbie Hancock! #Herbie4Life -Monica Blackson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I love Herbie so much! He was my celebrity crush when I was a young girl back in the 70's. Cheers! - Franny Franklin

      Delete
  8. Hi guys! I'm back from my weekend hiatus! I went to Florida to visit my old friends. I'm now back with Edward M. caring for me again! I hope to talk to some of you guys soon! - Franny Franklin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Ladies! I'm so glad that I met all of you! We should totally meet up somewhere for tea♥ -Monica Blackson

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I am really happy that all of you are doing okay. I really think we should meet up somewhere. - Susan Coxey

    ReplyDelete